Rules of the road (please keep these in mind):
Some things to think about when SENDING a message to your fellow commuters
- How? – The e-mail address you need to use can be found in the footer of every mail you get (e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org)
- It’s about NOW - Only send alerts regarding the in-progress commute
- Do not send questions to the group - That just isn’t feasible for a group this size. Rather: we encourage you to lead by example…and trust that others with more info will indeed share it.
- Use only the SUBJECT portion of the e-mail – Avoid the urge to send a memo
- Make it actionable – Sure, it’s good to know about a problem…but can you propose a solution?
- Make it original – Do not Reply or Forward messages. Rather, compose your own one-liner from scratch
- Provide context – Try to make your message understandable to anyone riding your carrier (e.g., “the 6:16 from Penn to Montclair…”)
For all users of the system
- Rate! – Use the “Was this Message helpful?” feature found at the bottom of Clever Commute mails
- Stay Connected – Yes…sign up for the alerts from the providers (NJ Transit, LIRR, MTA, Metro North, PATH etc.)
And of course: Relax, enjoy, participate. Set a filter.
While there will certainly be the mail sent that you think is a waste, there will definitely be plenty of info shared that proves to be truly irreplaceable. Please be patient and remember we are helping each other.