September 25th, 2016 | Published in announcements
September 18th, 2016 | Published in announcements
September 10th, 2016 | Published in announcements
This is your once-a-week communique from Clever Commute HQ.
September 2nd, 2016 | Published in announcements
- how long is the wait for tickets? (at the machines? at the windows?)
- got any tips/tricks for buying tickets today?
- how crowded is the station? How crowded are the trains? Please use real benchmarks
THE ABOVE ARE JUST EXAMPLES
If YOU have any info which would help others…then please share it!
August 28th, 2016 | Published in announcements
Two points to note as we go into the week of 29-August, 2016
- It’s really important that you stay up-to-date with the latest (best) version of the free Clever Commute app.
That is version 2.1.8.
See what version you are running
See what we changed in this version
- So…who REALLY has the worst commute?
By one measure, there actually is an answer. Come to our Facebook page to see who has this dubious honor.
June 17th, 2016 | Published in announcements
Your input is greatly appreciated.
May 22nd, 2016 | Published in announcements
As a service to commuters, we provide this getaway advice for those who are exiting NYC (via public transit) for the Memorial Day holiday. Read on for:
- A look back at 2015: “What happened on the Friday evening before Memorial Day Weekend last year?“
- Clever Commute’s “FIVE T’s” – the key to a stress-free commute on get-away day.
(1) What happened on the Friday before Memorial Day last year?
Commuter Trains Summary
- As usual, train riders from Grand Central had an easier “go” of things versus NY Penn Station riders
- NY Penn Station riders reported crowds as early as 1:30 PM
- Peak exodus from NYC was in the 2-3:30 PM window
- People definitely left NYC early…and by 5:30 PM, they generally reported fairly normal conditions
- Some trains were delayed in the 6:00 PM hour
(2) Clever Commute’s “FIVE T’s” – the key to a stress-free commute on get-away day:
1. Tickets – tickets..Tickets…TICKETS.
If you or your traveling companion will need a ticket, get it BEFORE Wednesday afternoon.
Lines are loooooong on get-away days.
HINT: NJ Transit now has an app for tickets. So does NY Waterway! See your app store for details.
2. Timing is crucial
We expect this year’s commuting pattern to be similar last. So please see the re-cap above.
3. Timetables and Schedule changes
Visit your transit provider’s web site for up-to-date schedule…including information about (extra) getaway day service
4. Terminal – Choose wisely
If it is at all within your control, avoid NY Penn Station.
- NJT riders should consider Hoboken and/or Newark Penn
- LIRR riders: try Atlantic Terminal
5. Other Tips:
- Dress in layers – the terminal or the trains can be warm
- Bring water/snacks – save time…save money. Plan ahead.
- “Baggage strategy” matters – There is going to be lots of luggage around on Friday. Pick/Pack your bad early and lightly!
- Make your plan now…Do NOT wait until Friday morning to start thinking about this.
Have a great holiday!
|Welcome! Clever Commute is the #1 source of information about mass-transit commuting.
We are an on-line service, offering
News articles curated by Clever Commute
|Clever Commute Facebook Page||Many||Ongoing|
|NJ Transit Strike Survival Guide||WSJ||10-Mar 2016|
|8 Things You Need To Know about Possible NJT Strike||NJ.com||10-Mar 2016|
|[Map] N.J. Transit Plans Park-and-Ride Locations||NY Times||6-Mar 2016|
|NJT Offers Contingency Plan In Case Of Massive Rail Worker Strike||Gothamist||3-Mar 2016|
|Possible NJ Transit strike nears, 33 years after last one||NJ.com||28-Feb 2016|
|NJ Transit strike threat: Union chief ‘hopeful’ for deal||app.com||18-Feb 2016|
|Health insurance is sticking point in NJ Transit negotiations||NJ.com||17-Feb 2016|
|Settle contract to avoid strike, members of Congress tell NJ Transit||NJ.com||17-Feb 2016|
|Labor board decides in favor of NJ Transit workers||NorthJersey.com||11-Jan 2016|
|Our premium app is not yet available for sale. When it is, on “Day 1” it will give you dozens of amazing new features.
However, in support of the commuters in the event of an NJT rail strike, we have unlocked 2 premium features.
How to activate it #1 (#2 is automatic):
|The check-in feature lets commuters share their train’s/bus’ location with the Clever Commute network.
Any active user can send a Check-in (steps below).
However, viewing these messages is done exclusively via the app…and is Opt-In only.
Check-ins are not sent out as mails, texts, or push notifications.
|To Send a Check-In||To View Check-Ins|