September 15th, 2013 |
bus, Inside Track, ITFeatureWriteUp
You may already know that our premium service, The Inside Track, is a great tool for people who ride the trains (e.g., NJT, LIRR and MNR). But many features work just as well (if not better) for bus riders! Since The Inside Track is not an app, it runs on all devices!
BONUS: – when you sign up for The Inside Track, you also get full access to the info about NJ Transit Trains. This is incredibly helpful for people who use both providers.
Overall, The Inside Track is now over 30 features. Here are some of the most-obvious ways that it can help ease and de-stress the bus commute (see the entire list here…with links to more info and examples)
- Control over the time-of-day and day-of-week you receive Clever Commute messages - If you are at your desk by 9:00 AM…then that is when your morning messages stop. Similar functionality for the evening.
- The ability to “pause” your alerts on those days when you are not commuting (e.g., vacation or business travel) – Also, on any given day, you can “snooze” your alerts (for 1, 2,6,12 hours, etc).
- Listen in on Alerts from other bus routes – It always helps to get extra info about the conditions at the terminals and river crossings. (Of course, you can elect to receive them as texts, e-mails or simply via your mobile device)
- The ability to receive your alerts as text messages – A very powerful way to get the data you want…when you want it. (especially when used with #1 and #2 above)
- The commuter message is in the subject line - You don’t need to open the message to read the alert.
- The ability to share and see geo-location of alerts - When messages are sent via The Inside Track, you can actually click on an alert and see where the sender was when they sent it.
- E-mails with enhanced formatting – Keywords are highlighted to make the important things stand out…and quick to read.
- Faster delivery than e-mails from the free service.
- You can filter messages based on the length of the commuting delay – Some people like to know when the bus is 5 minutes late…and some do not. Now, you can decide what you receive.
- You can show/hide messages based on keyword (e.g., seats available).
- You can receive special announcements regarding the commute (e.g., Monday Night Football or other special events at MetLife stadium).
- Information about gridlock alert days – yes, that time of year is coming
There are many other features…with more on the way.
July 1st, 2013 |
Just in time for summer, we have completed our integration with the official Lincoln Tunnel alerts from the Port Authority.
Clever Commuters will receive all relevant alerts for the Port Authority Bus Terminal area. This includes info about the bus station, as well as info about inbound/outbound traffic, and the status of the exclusive bus lane (XBL).
The first Clever community to receive this feature are the riders on DeCamp bus lines. We plan to deploy this feature to other Clever bus lines shortly.
These new alerts are clearly labeled as being from The Port Authority…so commuters can distinguish them from other alerts from their fellow commuters. The PABT alerts have two great attributes:
- They reflect info from the office of the PA…which has broad insight
- They are generally followed by an “all clear” message when the alert is no longer in effect
Please use the Contact Us feature of the website to share any questions, comments or feedback.
November 8th, 2012 |
announcements, bus, new markets, NJT, press, promotion
We created 3 new Clever bus communities. Please join whichever one(s) you like. If you have never used Clever Commute for the bus…then this might be a good opportunity to start.
(More info about Clever Commute here)
- Lakeland bus Route 78 (Summit)
- NJ Transit bus Route 107 (South Orange)
- Coach USA Route 77 (Morristown)
To sign up: go to clevercommute.com/signup and change “Select provider type” to “Bus Alerts”.
(there is no easy way to simply “add” these to your current subscription…so you need to re-sign up for each. Sorry)
A few other caveats:
- If you are new to Clever Commute, it may take a few days until you can _send_ messages…but you will be able to _receive_ as soon as you get your “Welcome” e-mail
(after you confirm…and we approve you)
- When you get the mail asking you to confirm, please use the “Click this link” option. If you use the “reply to this mail to confirm”…you’ll see it does not yet work yet.
- The e-mail address that you need for each community is found in the “Welcome” mail you receive after we approve/add you.
- We are still working on the Twitter feeds for each of these new communities.
- And of course: the content comes from YOU. Please lead by example and share whatever it is you think your fellow commuters want to know.
We pulled these together quickly…so there are some rough edges. Please be patient as we put the finishing touches on.
If you have any questions or comments, please use the Contact Us feature of our web site
August 31st, 2010 |
Attention all passengers, effective 5:00 AM Thursday morning, September 2, 2010 the union employees of DeCamp Bus Lines will be on strike. There will be no service. We will keep riders informed as information becomes available.
- FYI for riders up-and-down the MBNTN line: DeCamp is a major provider of bus service to/from NYC for the Montclair area
- NJT will NOT be cross-honoring DeCamp tickets
Here is what Clever Commute suggests:
- Stay up-to-date with DeCamp – Go to http://decamp.com and sign up for their alert service
- Taking NJ Transit trains?
A. Sign up for Clever Commute alerts for NJ Transit trains (Montclair line and/or Gladstone/Morristown)
B. Buy your train tickets in advance. There is (generally) a $5 surcharge if you buy on the train.
- Use these NEW ways to get your “Clever” info:
A. Follow the action on Twitter…and you can then receive the alerts however you want…even text/SMS!
for the bus – do a “request-to-fillow” cc_decamp_33_66
for the train – it’s cc_njtt_mbntn
Of course…you can use whatever Twitter follow tool you like. Your smartphone probably already has one installed.
B. Use our FREE mobile app. Just go here on your smartphone - http://m.clevercommute.com
- As always: remember our “rules of the road” The most important “stuff” is
A. you should “share”…NOT “ask” your fellow commuters for information. Questions to the group are a no-no.
B. keep all messages civil, constructive, free of profanity
More here – http://clevercommute.com/blog/?page_id=22
- Pay attention to what NJT is saying about this
The good news is that the these train and bus lines are three of Clever’s oldest, largest and most mature ones….so you guys know what you are doing here.
If I missed anything that you think should be shared with the community of commuters…then please let me know. I’ll aggregate the ideas and re-share before the strike. (feedback -at- clevercommute – dot-com)
October 7th, 2009 |
A Clever Commuter relayed this message an hour earlier than NJT shared their news
[7:56 AM]Â - Bus lane stopped
[8:26 AM]Â - @ 8:25 the bus lane is not moving
NJ Transit [9:23 PM] -Â Buses operating inbound to New York Port Authority Bus Terminal may experience delays due to a disabled vehicle in the Lincoln Tunnel.
September 17th, 2009 |
bus, examples, NJT
A Clever Commuter relayed this messageÂ 15 minutes before NJT shared their news
Clever Commute [5:38 PM]Â - Dispatcher announcing Delays b/c of vehicle stuck in tunnel
NJ Transit [5:53 PM] -Â Buses in and out of New York Port Authority Bus Terminal are subject to 20 -30 minute delays due to a motor vehicle accident in the Lincoln Tunnel
September 9th, 2009 |
bus, examples, NJT
Clever Commuters shared the news 19 minutes faster than NJT
Clever Commute [6:45 AM]Â – Slow going in LT. Stopped. So far 5 min to get half way through
NJ Transit [7:04 AM] – Buses operating inbound to New York Port Authority Bus Terminal may experience delays due to an earlier accident in the Lincoln Tunnel.
September 4th, 2009 |
Kudos to the quick-thinking Clever Commuter who relayed this Port Authority message 47 minutes before NJ Transit share it
Clever Commute [3:51 PM]Â – Outbound buses delayed due to an overheight bus stuck in the tube
NJ Transit [4:38 PM] – Bus service to/from Port Authority Bus Terminal, NY is subject up to 20 minutes delay due to an earlier incident in the Lincoln Tunnel
July 23rd, 2009 |
Our folks shared the newsÂ 12 minutes before NJT did
Clever Commute [8:50 AM] -Â Bus lane not moving at all for over 10 minutes
NJ Transit [9:02 AM] – Buses operating inbound to New York PABT are subject to 10-15 minute delays due to a disabled vehicle in the Exclusive Bus Lane.
November 20th, 2008 |
At 3:17 PM, a Clever Commuter shares this:
I just heard there is an overturned oil tanker on fire on Rte. 3 by the turnpike.Â Itâ€™s still early but those things tend to take awhile to clean up so just a heads up to all.Â Might be a night for the train. Â
One Clever CommuterÂ noted: Clever Commute broke the fire story 10 minutes before cnn.com
Now I ask you: Where else are you going to find this kind of help?