As a service to commuters, we provide this getaway advice for those who are exiting NYC (via public transit) for Labor Day Weekend. Read on for:
- A look back at 2018: “What happened on the Friday before the holiday last year?“
- Clever Commute’s “SIX T’s” – the key to a stress-free commute on get-away day.
(1) What happened on the Friday before Labor Day Weekend last year?
Overall: things were good before 1:00 PM. Conditions deteriorated in the 1:00 hour.
See carrier-specific notes below for details about what happened on your commute.
- Starting at 1:00 PM – A steady stream of official announcements regarding delays
- Roughly 31 alerts sent throughout the PM rush
- Many made reference to late train ahead
An event-free afternoon!
NJ Transit Trains
- Starting at 1:00 PM – A steady stream of official announcements regarding delays and cancelled trains
- Approx 50 alerts throughout the PM rush
- Over 20 trains were announced as cancelled (on this day…for this day)
- engineer availability and equipment availability were cited as the cause
Hoboken was consistently reported to be a good option throughout the day
Between 2:30 PM and 6:00 PM, there were several reports of long lines at PABT and delays on 495/Route 3
(2) Here are Clever Commute’s “SIX T’s” – the key to a stress-free commute on getaway day:
1. Technology – Think and plan NOW. Update your apps, load your e-Reader, charge your headphones, curate your playlist, charge your device and consider a portable charger.
Theses simple things can greatly reduce stress.
2. Tickets – tickets..Tickets…TICKETS.
If you or your traveling companion will need a ticket, get it BEFORE Friday afternoon.
Lines are loooooong on getaway days.
Idea: LIRR, Metro North, NJ Transit and NY Waterway all have ticket apps!
3. Timing is crucial
Use the re-cap above as a guide…but add some padding to be safe.
4. Timetables and Schedule changes
LIRR, Metro North and NJ Transit will provide (extra) getaway day service…but all 3 have date-specific trip planners on their sites.
5. Terminal – Choose wisely
- If it is at all within your control, avoid NY Penn Station.
- NJT riders: consider Hoboken and/or Newark Penn
- LIRR riders: consider Atlantic Terminal or Hunterspoint Avenue
6. Other Tips:
- Dress in layers – the terminal or the trains can be warm
- Bring water/snacks – save time…save money. Plan ahead.
- “Baggage strategy” matters – There is going to be lots of luggage around on Friday.
- Pick/Pack your bag early and lightly!
- Make your plan now…Do NOT wait until Friday morning to start thinking about this.
Have a great holiday!