As a service to commuters, we provide this getaway advice for those who are exiting NYC (via public transit) for the Thanksgving holiday. Read on for:
- A look back at 2016: “What happened on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving last year?“
- Clever Commute’s “FIVE T’s” – the key to a stress-free commute on get-away day.
(1) What happened on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving last year?
- In the 12:00 hour, terminals such as NY Penn and Grand Central were not crowded
(nor were the trains!)
- However: by 1:15 PM things changed. People reported it to be as crowded as a typical rush hour
- In the 3:00 PM hour, riders at Port Authority shared news of long lines for buses
- Passenger volume remained high through the evening rush until as late as 7:00 PM
(2) Here are Clever Commute’s “FIVE T’s” – the key to a stress-free commute on getaway day:
1. Tickets – tickets..Tickets…TICKETS.
If you or your traveling companion will need a ticket, get it BEFORE Wednesday afternoon.
Lines are loooooong on getaway days.
Idea: LIRR, Metro North, NJ Transit and NY Waterway all have ticket apps!
2. Timing is crucial
Use the re-cap above as a guide…but add some padding to be safe.
3. Timetables and Schedule changes
LIRR, Metro North and NJ Transit will provide (extra) getaway day service…but all 3 have date-specific trip planners on thier sites.
4. Terminal – Choose wisely
- If it is at all within your control, avoid NY Penn Station.
- NJT riders: consider Hoboken and/or Newark Penn
- LIRR riders: consider Atlantic Terminal or Hunterspoint Avenue
5. Other Tips:
- Dress in layers – the terminal or the trains can be warm
- Bring water/snacks – save time…save money. Plan ahead.
- “Baggage strategy” matters – There is going to be lots of luggage around on Wednesday.
- Pick/Pack your bag early and lightly!
- Make your plan now…Do NOT wait until Wednesday morning to start thinking about this.
Have a great holiday!