For 2017 and 2018, I was publishing a new version of the app on a somewhat-monthly schedule. There were so many features to add…so many opportunities. It was energizing.
But the majority of these things focused on the NJ commuting experience.
To be clear, a lot of work is always needed on the infrastructure used by all Clever commuters. However, I know that the legacy Clever experience for LIRR and Metro North riders was not as robust as it was for NJ train/bus commuters.
Part of the reason was (and is) because LIRR and Metro North do not povide me with the same technical opportunities vis-a-vis those provided by NJ Transit (yes, kudos to NJT here).
Nonetheless, in 2019, I took stock of the things which are in my control…and then put energy (and code) into doing all I can to bring the non-NJT Clever experience into parity. It’s been a great year. Here is what we did (so far)
- New LIRR feature – Our bots/probes check the departure board to look for overall bad trends/signs of trouble. Premium users get notified per their communciation preferences. The alert is also added to the recently-revamped News You Need feature
- New LIRR andMetro-North feature – At the start of your stated commute, we notify you of the official conditions on your branch. We call this headsup.
- Enhanced LIRR feature – We overhauld the in-app version of the departureboard.
Ues – this includes the amazing track predictor.
- Enhanced LIRR feature – You can now see the full text of official alerts from your transit provider (previous version routed you to mta.info/lirr to see)
- Enhanced Metro North feature – Improved handling of large official Metro North messages.
- Enhanced Metro North feature – Improved handling of graphics in official Metro North messages.
- New Metro North feature – Offical messages from Metro North are now filtered to be branch-specific
- New Metro North feature – We parse/translate the official alerts from MTA to convert “train numbers” to train times you can understand (Examples)
- Improved the your ability for Premium membes to turn on/turn the “message box”
- Removed ads from some pages
- Improved emoji support
- Improved off-line functionality
- Resolved legacy issue of duplicate messages (in app) as well as duplicate push notifications
- Brought back the News You Need feature (as loaded up relevant events. More to come.)
- Modernized the UI (This is not just cosmetic. End-user app features now work better/faster.)
- Improved overall stability and enahnced our up-time monitoring/diagnostics
- Overhauled subscription handling to ensure a smooth process for Premium users