Historically, train on-time performance metrics have two flaws:
- They are self-reported (e.g., no independent verification)
- They use a non-neutral methodology (e.g., one which favors the transit providers)
Clever Commute will address these issues via a new initiative: On-time metrics which are generated by the commuters on the trains.
Phase 1 will capture / measure performance for AM NJT trains at NY Penn Station.
How is how Phase 1 works:
- At the moment that the train doors open at the terminal platform, use your mobile-enabled device to send a message to their train’s e-mail address (please read on)
- Clever Commute will capture and aggregate this information (train #, arrival-time)
- The address to use is YourTrainNumber@clevercommute.net
(NOT the normal address you use to share traditional alerts)
For example, I often take this NJT train:
Depart : WATCHUNG AVENUE at 7:32 AM
Board : Train 6210 toward NEW YORK PENN STATION
Arrive : NEW YORK PENN STATION at 8:19 AM
The e-mail address for each train has the following format: train-number “at” clevercommute.com
In this instance, it is firstname.lastname@example.org. Here is an example:
#2 – Put the arrival time in the Subject
#3 – The commuter does not need to add a Body
Clever Commute technology will then aggregate the data and create reports based on these actuals.